The Case for Ms. Wakeland

Margeaux Mallick

Ms. Wakeland calls out the List Du Jour during announcements.

Garrett Podell, Managing Editor

When US Assistant Division Head Peggy Wakeland makes her way over to Katherine Haley ‘15 to make her daily announcement about opportunities to get off the “List Du Jour,” the list of students who still have a detention to complete, a collective groan seems to escape the Upper School student body. Let’s pause and take a step back to look at Ms. Wakeland the person, not Ms. Wakeland the disciplinarian. If you behave yourself and stay off the dreaded list, you get to know the real Ms. Wakeland. Along with a killer sense of humor, as evidenced with her singing at the end of each semester, she genuinely cares about all of the students in the Upper School.

Last year right before I left for the Winter SPC in Houston as a member of the basketball team, Wakeland called for a meeting with all of the athletes set to attend the playoffs. At this meeting, she shed some light on why she comes off as an intense rule stickler who cares for the rules and the rules only.  Right before we left for Houston, Wakeland told us a cautionary tale and why she cares about us so much.

A short while ago, her son attended Trinity Valley, and while at TVS, she said her son was exposed to alcohol and marijuana, which led him to an addiction to alcohol and drugs. Today, he works in a local grocery store, and Wakeland is now the primary caretaker for her three grandkids. At the end of her story, Wakeland said, “I do this job because I care about y’all and the reason I’m so strict is so all of you make the right decisions.”

The next time you think about complaining during Wakeland’s announcements to the person sitting next to you, step back and remember she’s someone who genuinely cares about each and every student and only wants the best for us.