The 2017 Musical: Spamalot

Christina Kelly, Managing Editor

The Fort Worth Country Day musical will present “Spamalot” as this year’s musical. In the show, the audience follows King Arthur and his knights through a quest for the Holy Grail. Obstacles include the taunting French, the Knights of Ni, the Black Knight, Tim the Enchanter, and the bad tempered rodent. If this story rings a bell, it is because it mirrors “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.”

“Spamalot is filled with so many talented people and the show is just so much fun. I laugh out loud every single night when rehearsing. I really cannot wait for it to come together,” Lauren Newton ’18 said.

Last April, Director of Theatre Melodee Halbach and Director of Fine Arts Denise Mullins attended an ISAS showcase which happened to be “Spamalot.” Halbach and Mullins had never laughed so hard or had so much fun at a musical before. Desiring the same experience for FWCD, Halbach and Mullins decided to choose “Spamalot” as the 2017 musical.

“Spamalot” is something FWCD has never seen before. It involves lighting and projections, so cartoon fans will not be disappointed.

“[Spamalot] is Monty Python esq with a teaspoon of Yellow Submarine,” Halbach said.

Not only does the show include unique lighting, it also has an abundance of fun props. Tim the Enchanter will have a “rocket” – a broom- and the Knights of Ni have staffs. A killer rabbit, a stuffed cow, coconuts, and the holy hand grenade will also make an appearance.

Choreographers make the musical come alive with dances. Abi Abel is the tap choreographer, and Ballet and Theatre Teacher Natalie Bracken ‘05 is the main choreographer. Cristin Leoni will choreograph the opening song performance directed by fourth grade teacher Mark Martin and performed by the third and fourth grade lower school choir.

On February 22 at 6:30 p.m., there will be a free, open dress rehearsal. Official musical times include Friday, February 24 and Saturday, February 25 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, February 26 at 3:00 p.m. One can buy tickets by visiting seatyourself.biz, click on buy tickets, and enter fwcds in the search for field.

Be sure to come and support the 45 student performers and everyone who makes the musical possible.