Around the Conference: Big Basketball Blog v. 1

Allen Taylor, Sports Editor

Big 12 Basketball Weekly Update

Welcome to Allen Taylor’s weekly Big 12 Basketball Online column. At the time this column was created, conference play is two weeks old. This column will serve to review the season so far, and predict the outcomes for this week’s contests (against the spread).

After non-conference play was over, every team from Morgantown to Austin had high hopes. The conference appeared to be full of talented rosters, ruckus atmospheres, and phenomenal coaches.

Conference play began for Big 12 teams on December 30, with all 10 teams playing in five conference games. The headline games were Texas Christian hosting Kansas, Oklahoma hosting Baylor, and Texas Tech travelling to Hilton Coliseum to take on Iowa State.

For TCU, they had not played in a competitive game yet in the season, but had only lost once (against a ranked SMU team). Kansas came into the game red-hot, not losing since their opening game of the season to Indiana. However, it was TCU who started a run at the beginning of the game, taking a 10-point lead midway through the first half. Kansas did respond however, taking control of the game in the first five minutes of the second half, and maintained their lead until the final buzzer sounded. Kansas proved that yet again they are the team to beat in the conference. For TCU, they showed that this team has the ability to compete with the cream of the crop in conference this season.

Baylor’s non-conference play had been the talk of the conference going into their opening conference game against Oklahoma. Baylor had been ranked in the top five of the entire country in the AP (Associated Press) poll. Baylor had defeated the likes of Oregon, Xavier, and Louisville in non-conference and looked to continue their undefeated start in Norman to begin their conference slate. Oklahoma did not have high expectations heading into this season, after graduating three star players, Buddy Hield, Isaiah Cousins, and Ryan Spangler. Baylor went to Oklahoma and dominated the Sooners, winning by 26 -points on OU’s home court.

In the final headline game of the night, new Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard travelled to Ames, IA to lead his Red Raiders into their first conference game in the Beard era. Texas Tech had a very similar non-conference to TCU, not playing very strong competition, but winning all the games they should win. Iowa State was the opposite, ISU scheduled tough opponents for their non-conference schedule, and were not able to pick up the wins they hoped. They entered conference play with less than 10 wins. Texas Tech started hot, entering the halftime break with a 10 -point lead. Then in the second half, the Cyclones conjured up some Hilton Magic to dominate Tech with a +17 -point differential.

The final scores from around the conference were:

Kansas 86-TCU 80

Baylor 76-OU 50

West Virginia 92-Oklahoma State 75

Texas Tech 56-Iowa State 63

Texas 62-Kansas State 65

After the first week, Kansas, Iowa State, West Virginia, Kansas State, and Baylor were all 1-0. TCU, OU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Texas all finished the first week winless at 0-1. The marquee matchups for the second week when were Iowa State-Baylor, Kansas State-Kansas, and West Virginia-Texas Tech.

Iowa State was looking to defeat Baylor for the first time all season, with their senior laden lineup, including one of the top guards in the entire country, Monte Morris. Iowa State’s issue is their lack of size, and that showed against Baylor’s long lineup. Baylor has three players in their rotation with wingspans over 7’, and Iowa State does not have one. But, Iowa State shot well, and led with less than three minutes remaining in the game. Morris led the Cyclones, but near the end of the game Baylor neutralized his offensive impact, and forced ISU’s role players (Nazareth Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas, and Deonte Burton) to make plays for the Cyclones at the end of the game, and Baylor triumphed by two.

Kansas’ first home game of conference play was also the first rivalry of the season. Kansas hosted K-State in the “Sunflower Showdown.” Kansas enters this season undefeated in home conference games since 2013, when Marcus Smart led Oklahoma State to a stunning upset in Lawrence. Kansas State has not beating Kansas since Frank Martin was the head coach. For Kansas State, this was their first away challenge of the season. Kansas state shot the lights out in the first half, and kept the game close. Kansas was able to bring a lead to seven with around three minutes to go, and then Forward Dean Wade lead a K-State comeback. K-State tied the game with less than 10 seconds remaining. However, Kansas was able to inbound the ball and Junior Sviastolav Mhykialuk made a layup as time expired. There is some controversy on the layup, as it appears that Mhykialuk may have taken roughly five steps without dribbling before the layup. But, Kansas won in a nailbiter 90-88.

In Lubbock, the Texas Tech fans welcomed their Red Raiders for their first home game of the conference season against West Virginia. West Virginia was finishing the second half of their road trip. West Virginia is forced to play two games on every road trip, because Morgantown is geographically separated from the rest of the conference. For instance, whenever West Virginia travels to Fort Worth, they will also drive to Norman. West Virginia looked to press Texas Tech’s guards, but Coach Beard’s Red Raiders had a strategy in order to not turn the ball over. They were successful, and only turned the ball over 10 times against West Virginia’s unrelenting press. Still, West Virginia was able to tie the game, and send it to overtime. In overtime, a transfer from Arkansas State, Anthony Livingston made a game-winning three -pointer with less than 10 seconds left to secure a 77-76 Texas Tech victory.

Final scores from around the conference:

Kansas State 88-Kansas 90

West Virginia 76-Texas Tech 77

Oklahoma 57-TCU 60

Iowa State 63-Baylor 65

Oklahoma State 79-Texas 82

Oklahoma State-Baylor 61

Texas Tech 68-Kansas 85

TCU 70-West Virginia 82

Oklahoma 64-Kansas State 75

Texas 70- Iowa State 79

After this week, the entire conference was separated by less than three games, with only three undefeated teams remaining (Kansas, Baylor, and West Virginia). Two of those undefeated teams were set to face off in a Super Tuesday matchup. Baylor had received the #1 ranking in the country after Villanova lost at Butler. This was Baylor’s first #1 ranking in their program’s history, and for their first game as the top-ranked team in the country they had to travel to Morgantown to face West Virginia. Two other marquee matchups of the week were Oklahoma State visiting Kansas and TCU hosting Iowa State.

Baylor entered the season unranked, and received no votes in the initial AP poll. Some Baylor players had their feelings hurt, and have decided to cope with the lack of the media covering their season. Senior forward Ish Wainright decided to take matters in his own hands, and has been a smart alec with the media, constantly using the hashtag #wss (We Still Suck) to mock the media. West Virginia pressed Baylor nonstop, and exposed Baylor’s weak back court. Baylor was absolutely demoralized by West Virginia’s press. Baylor only has two guards in their rotation, and West Virginia ran them out of the gym. West Virginia finished with a decisive 89-68 victory.

On Saturday January 14, Oklahoma State visited Lawrence to face off against the Kansas Jayhawks. The Cowboys are the last team to defeat the Jayhawks in Lawrence, when Marcus Smart defeated the Jayhawks in 2013. Since, all three games between these two teams in Lawrence have been close, all ending with deficits less than 10 -points. This season, Oklahoma State entered 0-4 in conference, but their past three losses were all by 10 or less against teams receiving votes in the AP Poll. Kansas had gone to 4-0, after their midweek victory at Oklahoma. Oklahoma State started off the game shooting incredibly well from outside the three -point line, and took a four -point lead into halftime. Then, -point guard Frank Mason III took over, and lead the Jayhawks to a seven -point victory.

TCU had won two of their last three games, after their opening season loss against Kansas. TCU had relied on newcomer Alex Robinson and Ukranian sophomore Vladimir Brodziansky to defeat Texas and Oklahoma on their hot streak. Iowa State entered the game 3-1, with their only loss coming against Baylor. The two teams were set to face off in the first installment of the team’s home and home in Fort Worth. Both teams are known for their offensive output, and their inability to defend. It was set to be a shootout in Fort Worth. The game began as most believed it would, with both teams having three scorers in double figures at the end of the first half. The second half belonged to the Horned Frogs. TCU dominated, never surrendering a lead in the final 12 minutes. TCU won by a final score of 84-77.

Baylor 68-West Virginia 89

Kansas 81-Oklahoma 70

Kansas State 65-Texas Tech 66

TCU 64-Texas 61

Iowa State 96-Oklahoma State 86

Baylor 77-Kansas State 68

Oklahoma State 80-Kansas 87

West Virginia 74-Texas 72

Iowa State 77-TCU 84

Texas Tech 75-Oklahoma 84

Looking towards next week:

Baylor vs. Texas

Preview:

Baylor will dominate Texas. Texas played well in their first game without suspended guard Tevin Mack, but there is no possibility of Texas competing with Baylor when Jarrett Allen is the Longhorns’ primary scoring option. Baylor will dominate the interior with big men Jonathan Motley and Lo Lual-Acuil

Line Baylor (-14)

I have Baylor here, I do not see a possibility of Texas keeping this game close.

Oklahoma vs. West Virginia

Preview:

Similar to Baylor-Texas, I believe this will be a blowout. Oklahoma’s guards are raw and inexperienced. Going into Morgantown will be a difficult task, and I do not believe the Sooners will succeed, but expect this to be closer than you would think.

Line Oklahoma (+17)

Take Oklahoma, Jordan Woodard is talented enough to keep this close.

TCU vs. Texas Tech

Preview:

TCU is trying to do something they have never done in their brief time in the Big 12, win in Lubbock. Both teams enter this game coming off polar results in their previous contest. Tech lost to Oklahoma, but TCU is riding the momentum of a big win against Iowa State. These two teams are a very interesting matchup, with TCU having a clear advantage in the backcourt, but Tech having the front court. Still, I think TCU’s depth and experience wins this one on the road.

Line TCU (+4.5)

Take TCU, riding the momentum off two big wins, expect a third in Lubbock.

Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State

Preview:

Oklahoma State has not faced a team under .500 at home this season, and that all changes when Kansas State comes to town. OSU looks to continue its good form against the struggling Wildcats. Kansas State had a lead late against Baylor, but choked and ended up losing by double digits.

Line OSU (-4.5)

I believe this is when Brad Underwood finally wins his first conference game of his Big 12 career. Jawun Evans and Phil Forte will finally find a rhythm against Bruce Weber’s Wildcats.

Lines aren’t published for this weekends games.