The 2017 Homecoming Court

Learn all about each of the candidates for the crown

The+2017+homecoming+court+poses+on+the+steps+of+the+martin+center+after+the+pep+rally+

Lisa Wallace

The 2017 homecoming court poses on the steps of the martin center after the pep rally

Margeaux Mallick, Online Editor in Chief

It’s a time to celebrate our school spirit, enjoy time with friends, and see the return of alumni from years past. This year’s Homecoming was one for the books.

Of all the Homecoming traditions, the most important (besides the game) is the election of the Homecoming court. The voting this year took place during advisory last Tuesday when each student voted for a King and Queen. The five boys and girls who received the most votes made up the court, which was announced during the pep rally on Friday, October 27. The king and queen were crowned during halftime of the football game.

King:

Salman Shah 

Shah is extremely down to earth and loved by many of his peers. Nobody knows sports and movies as much as Salman Shah does. He has a YouTube channel where he critiques films and TV shows. Every time students talk to Shah, he has the biggest smile on his face that makes everyone want to smile back. One day Shah got a detention and was asked to pick up trash from the fields.

“He called me and told me he was going to be late getting home because he was completing community service hours,” his mother, Mona Shah, said.

Salman’s sense of humor shines both at school and at home.

Queen:

Kacey Melton 

Kacey Melton is one of the most hardworking students in the high school. As Student Council Vice President, she is behind just about every function in the high school. Kacey is known for her success in anything that she does. Whether it is leading the Student Council, dancing in the ballet studio, working with her linkies, or helping her peers with homework, she is always the perfect role model.

Her countless efforts and caring attitude are just some of the reasons why she won Homecoming Queen. Her crown is proof that her peers appreciate all that she has done throughout high school.

King candidates:

Ethan Davenport

Davenport came to FWCD in the ninth grade from Forest, Virginia. He has played basketball, golf, and baseball. He is also a part of the Lower School Flag Football coaching staff. Most of the Upper School knows Davenport as “Gary” from his SoundCloud albums and expertise in freestyle rap. It is always a good time when “Gary” is present. Davenport fit right in after he moved to FWCD and it is clear that he is very well liked among his peers.

Samuel DeRobertis

As the FWCD Student Body President, DeRobertis is a face that the US students see every day at the start of announcements. He has served on Student Council since his days in lower and middle school and has made it to the top this year. DeRobertis is involved in Fort Worth Sister Cities, and has traveled abroad as well as hosted several foreign exchange students. He has been in the cast of many FWCD theater productions and is a member of the Varsity cross-country team. DeRobertis is definitely a go-getter and enjoys knocking things off of his bucket list. So far he has crossed off flying an airplane, scuba diving, and skydiving. No matter how tired he is from staying up long hours working on his homework, he continues to crack jokes in class that puts everyone else in a better mood.

Westen Mulqueen 

Mulqueen has been at FWCD since kindergarten and has immersed himself in the community since day one. While at FWCD, he has been a member of Student Council where he currently serves at the Treasurer. He is a Link Crew Leader, member of FWCD Team Service, representative of  Cook Children’s Volunteer Advisory Council, and is a swim instructor for the Fort Worth Drowning Prevention Coalition. Westen also represents FWCD by serving as a Student Ambassador and a member of the FWCD Band.

“In his spare time, Westen loves to watch the home teams: Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, and Stars and has been known to watch all of them at once on multiple devices,” Ester Mulqueen, his mom, said.

Luke Richardson

Richardson came to FWCD in the sixth grade and made his presence known as soon as he walked into his first class because he was the tallest middle schooler anyone had ever seen. He made friends very easily as he is extremely kind and outgoing. He plays football, basketball, and lacrosse and is dedicated to his teams.

“Luke is passionate about ceramics and has really enjoyed Mr. Mahle’s classes,” Luke’s mother, Jan, said. “Thanks to Mr. Mahle’s encouragement, Luke is looking into the ceramic engineering field as he pursues colleges.”

Richardson’s close friends know that he likes to be addressed as Lucian, which is his real name. It is a constant struggle for him to keep up with his things as he is known to lose his wallet and car keys almost every morning.

Queen Candidates:

Savana Blahitka

Savana Blahitka is super outgoing, funny and friendly. With her daily attempts to play music in announcements and start dance parties, she has made her presence known in the high school. She is a field hockey captain, a member of Cooking for a Cause, and an entrepreneur. During her sophomore year, she started a pearl jewelry business that has continued to grow over the years.

Bridget Chambers

Bridget Chambers is the always smiling, energetic, and gorgeous blonde that you can find in the front row at every pep rally. As a Varsity cheer captain, Chambers played a role in making this year’s Homecoming memorable. She is a role model for freshman girls as she is a president of Sigma Iota Sigma, a program that helps senior and freshman girls get to know each other. She also shines in the academic sphere at FWCD, as she is a National Merit Commended Student.

Kathleen Clum 

Kat Clum is fun-loving and outgoing. She has performed in all of the Upper School musicals, starring as the Lady of the Lake in last year’s production of Spamalot and winning a Betty Buckley award for her role as Beth in Little Women.

“She is excited to appear as Reno Sweeney in the spring production of Anything Goes,” Karla Clum, her mom, said.

Not only is she a standout on stage, Club also is a star on the court and on the field. She has been a three-sport Varsity athlete at FWCD since her freshman year, playing volleyball, softball, and basketball. In fact, she plans on carrying on her softball career at Brown University.

Club is one of the busiest students at our school, but she always maintains a positive attitude as she often sings her way through the halls.

Destinee Cornejo 

Destinee Cornejo came to FWCD as a freshmen in 2014 and immediately made friends. She may come off quiet and reserved when you first meet her, but she has the greatest sense of humor and is loved by her peers. Her mother was especially proud of her daughter’s position on Homecoming court.

“Destinee makes the best of any situation and has a heart the size of Texas,” her mother, Yessenia Cornejo, said. “She credits Mrs. Giroir for giving her the tools and support in becoming a quality person and student.”

Starting in seventh grade as a Breakthrough student, Destinee has continued her commitment to the program serving as a summer Teacher Assistant volunteer, a volunteer Teacher for Super Saturdays, and a lead member on the Admission Committee. Destinee plays soccer and softball at FWCD and is a member of the Diversity Club.